"Do more of what makes you happy


"Do more of what makes you happy."

I read the above quote recently and it made me think about happiness. More, specifically, about what makes me happy. Different people have different passions that bring them joy; it can be your job, your hobby, pursuit of an idea or a goal, your family or friends, or even yourself.  But, perhaps the first step towards constant happiness is recognizing what makes you happy. So, I began to contemplate moments in my life when I felt the most joyful. And one moment, in particular, stood out the most.

This is that moment.

It was the end of the first day of my Himalayan trek. I had been trekking for about 9 hours and was completely and utterly exhausted. The altitude had me gasping for air for the better part of the trek and my legs were killing me by the time we got to the homestay where my guide, Stanzin, and I would be spending the night. We were greeted graciously by our Ladakhi hosts with cups of hot tea and I still remember the relief I felt to finally be able to sit and give my aching feet some rest. After I had somewhat recovered from my exhaustion, I decided to sit outside and enjoy the view and was soon joined by a fellow trekker. We talked for a couple of hours about a wide range of topics but as the sun started to set, both of us fell silent as we just took in the sheer awesomeness of our surroundings.

I don't think I can ever accurately describe the feeling of sitting on some rocks with nothing but the vastness of the majestic Himalayan range surrounding me. Never before had I felt so small. It's one of the few moments in my life where I remember feeling that in such a powerful way. My physical body was exhausted but my mind felt refreshed and at peace. I didn't have a single thought running through my head and I was truly and completely experiencing the present moment in its entirety. My mind was blank and I was feeling something that I can only describe as bliss. As I breathed in the fresh, crisp mountain air, I felt completely free.


It's been two years since that trip to Ladakh but I still remember the feeling like it was yesterday. It was the first time I experienced that kind of freedom.  In the crazy, busy, responsibility-filled world we live in, it is so easy to become a prisoner of your own thoughts. But out there in the middle of the Himalayas, far away from the busyness of my life back home, I found myself free from my daily ramblings and quietly content in the present moment.

So what makes me happy? If that moment is any indication, a mind free of runaway thoughts is enough to make me happy. I usually find myself in that state of mind when I'm doing things outside, whether it's trekking, hiking, camping, swimming, climbing, or even just sitting somewhere and watching the sunrise or sunset. Nature has a wonderful way of reminding me that there are so many things in this world that are bigger than me and out of my control. And the more I give up this control, the happier I find myself in the present moment.

Whatever it is that you find makes you happy, don't put it on the backburner. While it may not always be easy or convenient, spend as much time as you can doing those things that bring you joy. Be free, be alive, be happy.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can't get enough of Europe

New York - Week 1

The Journey